Several ACM members in the Gulf Coast region of Texas were directly impacted by Hurricane Harvey this past week. We’re happy to report that many of these museums are already open and providing a safe and fun place for families to play in this difficult time.
- The Children’s Museum of the Brazos Valley is open with the message, “Young or Young-at-Heart, we are all #Texasstrong.”
- After several days of truncated hours due to road conditions and staff safety, The Woodlands Children’s Museum is back to regular hours!
- The Children’s Discovery Museum of the Golden Crescent in Victoria is open and offering pay-what-you-will admission through Friday.
- The Children’s Museum of Houston is open and offering free admission to displaced families. The museum is also running a school supply and uniform drive for children affected by the storm.
- Beaumont Children’s Museum is closed through the weekend, and on standby to reopen Monday.
- Galveston Children’s Museum plans to open tomorrow with a Free Come Play Friday admission day!
- Thinkery in Austin is open and currently offering free admission to displaced families.
On Tuesday, August 29, ACM established the ACM Harvey Relief Fund to support the staff and families of our members affected by the storm. ACM will match the first $5,000, and the fund will remain open for donations through September 30. To date, we’ve received more than $2,500 in donations!
Thank you to all who have donated and spread the word about the Fund, including Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum, the American Alliance of Museums, WOW! Children’s Museum, The Empathetic Museum, Mid-Hudson Children’s Museum, and the Children’s Museum of Brownsville.
We’re inspired by the words of Saleem Hue Penny, Associate Vice President of Community and Educational Partnerships at Chicago Children’s Museum: “in these moments reminded we are a ‘community,’ not merely an ‘association.’”
— Saleem Hue Penny (@huedotart) August 30, 2017
We’re heartened by the strength of our Texas museums, and by how our membership is coming together in support and solidarity. Thank you all for being a part of our community!